When I go travelling, I often pick up little snippets of information which are new to me so perhaps of interest to others too. They may or may not form part of a post but I just think they are valuable little nuggets to store away for future reference. I hope they are true – but even if they are not, I quite like the sound of them! As I find them, so I will add them ….
Churches and Cathedrals
- Winchester Cathedral has the longest nave and greatest over length of any Gothic cathedral in Europe.
- Winchester Cathedral possesses the only Diatonic ring of 14 church bells in the world.
- York Minster has more medieval stained glass than any other single building in Britain.
- There’s more than 100 clocks in the aptly named Dorset Collection of Clocks which is part of the Mill House Cider Museum in Owermoigne, near Dorchester. It comes into its own when the clocks change!
- The elegant Malta villa that was once home to HM The Queen and HRH Prince Philip is to be restored and opened as a museum by the Maltese Government.
- Gardening pays if you are Lancelot “Capability Brown”. He apparently received £840m for contracts from 1755 to 1783.
- There is a hotel shaped like a guitar! The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is Florida is 36 storeys high and 137m (450 feet) high.
- Antony Gormley’s Angel of the North is made from enough metal to build four tanks.
- Driverless cars took to London’s road on 24th October 2019 in Croydon and Bromley.
- Electric car charges boost the value of your house.